- The Agnew Cup is open to teams who are all bona fide members of Golf Club Bridge Sections or are Associate or House members of Golf Clubs within Northern Ireland.
- The Golf Club need not necessarily be affiliated toe the Northern Ireland Bridge Union..
2. Method of Scoring
- The Agnew Cup is scored by IMP's.
- A difference of 1 IMP is sufficient for a win.
- Teams are awarded 2 points for win and 1 point for a draw in the League stage.
3. Number of Boards
- All matches are played over 24 boards.
4. Breaking of Ties
- In the event of a tie, this should be broken by comparing total aggregate scores (Honours not counted).
- If the match is still tied, then extra boards should be played, four at a time, until a result is obtained.
5. Composition of Teams
- A Team may consist of up to six players, but only four may take part in any one match.
6. Choice of Dates
- The Captain of the first named Team is termed the “Home Captain” and is responsible for contacting the opposing “Away Captain” before the arrangement date and offering to him a choice of at least three dates, one of which must be on a different day of the week to the other two.
- Matches may be played at a “Neutral” venue if both Captains agree.
- Matches may be played before the arrangement date but must be completed on or before the last date shown for playing.
- Both captains are responsible for notifying the Hon Competitions Secretary if the match has not been arranged by the latest date indicated for arrangement.
- An extension to the time published will only be granted in very exceptional circumstances. All such requests should be made to the Hon. Competitions Secretary before the final date published for arrangements to be made.
7. League Stage
- The winner of each group is decided on League Points as detailed above.
- Should the group be tied, the result of the direct match between the two teams will decide.
- If the group is still tied, then the tie will be broken by IMP quotient and then, if necessary, by total aggregate points.
8. Semi-Finals & Final
- The winners of each group meet in the Semi-Final, as indicated.
- If, after 24 boards the teams are tied the, additional boards will be played, in sets of 4, until a winner is established.
9. Notification of Result
- The winning Captain is responsible for notifying the Competitions Secretary of the result, in IMP’s, and the names of the players, in both teams, who played within 2 days of the match.
- A score card from the match, signed by both captains, should be forwarded to the Hon. Competitions Secretary within 7 days of the date of the match.